We are starting to design our new office, and obviously, we have great ideas about what the new office environment should look like. Here are some of my note, and I would love my readers to share some insights about what is important for an Internet company office.
- There should be combined relax corner with sofa, foods, books and business oriented meeting rooms.
- There will be as many places to write on, to stick notes on as possible, since whiteboards, glass boards, and writable walls inviting and engaging people discussion.
- A very clean office with well managed facility.
- The best view of windows should be reserved for as many people as possible. That means, offices and meeting rooms should be built at places without window, and leave the view of window to people. I hate offices with offices for upper management at window and squeeze people with cubicles in the middle.
- Walls should be either be whiteboard, or decorated with wall painting. Avoid white walls.
- Put drinking machines in central location, and build environments to allow people to interact around the drinking machine. The same for the door to the rest room. Because drinking machine, and the rest room hall ways are two places people get to so frequently, where communication happens.
- Encourage people to decorate their own office space with photos.
- Design paths in the office to allow the design of one clear “main street” where people can gather and greet each other during the work.
- Put important metrics at most dominate places, say, the entrance so people can see it easily everyday.
- Lighting is always important to make an office comfortable.
- There must be a “mixer” area, to balance the natural groups of people – people tend to communicate with people around them, with rare chance to talk with others in other corner. If there is space to allow people from different corner to participate in one activity – like print machine, or breakfast table, that will help communication a lot.
- Use as many places as possible to increase the internal brand awareness of the company brand, and the brand of individual product – to make it “famous” brand at least within the office with posters, and videos.