This time is a little bit special than the first few visit. Yesterday (June 28, 2008), the Yangtze River Tunnel + Bridge is structurally completed, and it takes some time to pave the road and install equipments. In 2010, people can drive to Chongming Island via Shanghai Yangtze River Bridge + Shanghai Yangtze River Tunnel.
Currently, we have to put our cars onto the boat and get to the island via 1.5 hour trip. However, waiting in the line to get to the boat takes 1 hour to 2 hours.
Here are the lines we waited before we get to the boat:
Leaving the pier:
Behind the pier is the Baosteel – the Baoshan Steel Company, a high polution source.
Cars parked on the ferry:
Finally get near to Chongming in 1.5 hour:
On the island, we went to another wet land, and get a crab. There are billions of them.
This is the trip to get back, and I found out Chongming is turned into a big port already these three days.
Bye bye, Chongming. I know I will come back again even before the Tunnel and Bridge opens.
You can refer to Chongming Island category to learn more about the logistics about the island. Here are just some general tips for you to get there (in a not so systematic way).
- Chongming Island is part of China, in the north, at the mouth of Yangtze river.
- It is actually the third largest island in China, after Taiwan and Hainan.
- Chongming is now still an island without any bridge connecting to Shanghai, so it is just like Pudong before development.
- The new bridge and tunnel will connect the island to Shanghai in 2010, and the mega project is part of the Shanghai to Xi’an Expressway G40.
- The island is undeveloped, and it is mainly rural area, where people grow all kinds of fruits and food.
- Drive on the island is wonderful – there are not many cars on the island, and the roads are very beautiful with trees and rivers on both side.