A lot of people are very interested to know how to run the same website as mine (http://home.wangjianshuo.com). The questions are:
- How to get a domain name with my own name?
- What do I need to do after I get the domain name? Where should I put my pages.
- What is the software you are using to publish your website?
Well. They are all good questions when you have know idea about the Internet world. I’d like to help.
Believe it or not, you can get a unique top level Internet name at blahblah.com. Anything you can think of before it is taken.
Here is the tool you can type in your name with .com at the end at my favoriate Domain Name Lookup tool – GeekTools. See if it is taken or not. If they return “no information for that domain”, then congratulations and you can go ahead to register it.
P.S. Here is the domain information for my domain.
Read on to see where to get your IP address.
Domain name itself is only a record at the central domain registration administration. It will point your visitors to your website. Having a domain name is just to get a car plate. You have to buy your car seperately. For the website, you need to find the website hosting service. They provide the real machines, hard disks, the Interenet connections to you.
2) An username and a password, by which you can put your own webpage and pictures to the hosting server.
I suggest you to run MovableType, which can be downloaded free of charge at http://movabletype.org. Be aware that it is a little bit difficult to configure and run it for non-technical people. Read my article MovableType Successfully Installed on Windows XP for more information.
Let me know if you have setup your blogging with your own domain name. I would like to provide link to you on my site. I am very careful to choose which site I link to. You are entitled a link on this site only if you meet the following criteria.
1) You created your site by following the instructions listed above.
– or –
2) You are inspired by this article to begining your blogging with your own domain name.
– or –
3) You followed the instruction in my article MovableType Successfully Installed on Windows XP to run your copy of MovableType.
Let me know by comment here and I will create a special section and link to you – the very unique community on the net.
Post it here and welcome to join the blogging world.