Updated: Recent schedule May 19, 2003
From May 19 to May 23, the camera will be offline from 00:00 AM to 7:00 PM (most of the day time). It will probably online from 7:00 PM (or 8:00 PM) to 11:00 PM. From May 24, it will extend to day time and aiming to be 50% of the time (12 hours everyday). From June 1, I hope I can operate it 24 hours a day. The tag above indicate the status of the server (online or offline).
On May 23, my 130 RMB for all-you-can-eat package take effects. So I don’t have to pay for every minute my server is online. By June 1, I should have a dedicated server for this service.
You are watching Shanghai in real-time.
I am very happy that I have the passion to setup this Shanghai webcam again. Through this webcam, you can see part of the Shanghai – at the intersection of Cao Bao Road and Xi Qin Road in Southwest Shanghai. The camera is placed at the south window of my apartment, directing to the outside. The high building on the left is the Shanghai Everbright Exhibition Center. There is a 4-star hotel and some office buildings in this thirty story huge building. On the right, the lower building with a blue arch is the Shanghai Everbright Convention and Exhibition Center. It is one of the three major exhibition venue in Shanghai. Typically, the exhibition center’s schedule is completely full until end of 2004, according to news sources. However, as you can see from the video, it is closed. All exhibition from the end of April is canceled.
You can also see the road between the exhibition center(right) and the office building (left). It is called Xi Qin Road. The traffic is low. In the distance are some residential buildings which were just built 2 years ago.
1. Frequently check this page
You can frequently check this page – in the morning, in the afternoon or in the evening; when it is sunny, cloudy or rainy. At different time and condition, you will see the different sceen of Shanghai.
2. Put it on your own web
If you have a website or personal homepage, why not put this webcam into your own page? Just insert the following HTML code to your webpage.
<SCRIPT language=VBScript src=”http://home.wangjianshuo.com/scripts/webcam/Shanghaiwebcam.cgi”></SCRIPT>
The webcam and the broadcasting server is hosted in my house.
3. Put this webcam into your computer desktop
You can easily open a small window on your computer desktop and see Shanghai in real time through the window. Sounds cool? Here is how you can do it.
Requirements: You must use Windows XP.
- Right click on the blank area of your desktop and click Properties on the pop up menu.
- Switch to desktop tab and click Customerize Desktop…
- Switch to web tab and click New…
- Enter “http://home.wangjianshuo.com/archives/2003/05/18/ShanghaiWebCam.htm” in the Location text box and click OK.
- Clic OK again when asked “Add to Active Desktop (TM)”.
- Click OK twice to complete the setup.
You will see the webcam appear on your desktop. You can adjust the size of the window to just fit the Windows Media Player.
4. Create your own webcam like this
Why not create your own webcam and broadcast your window scene like this? The only thing you need is a computer, a broadband network connection and a webcam. I have wrote about Real-Time Stream Broadcasting Cookbook. Hope it helps.
5. You tell me what you want to do with this cam
The only limit if your imagination.
This is no garentee for up time. As you can see, this is only non-profitable personal website. Unlike writing articles and hosting the site, which is just my free labor and small amount of fixed host rental fee, hosting a webcam is not cheap. A 24×7 webcam needs:
- A dedicated computer as the media server.
- Always connected ADSL connection.
- A webcam I cannot use for other propose (MSN Messenger videa chatting, for example)
- Space – the USB wires and the webcam actually messed up my neat window.
- The electricity for the computer…
I will setup a watch dog to report on the online time of this service – may publish a schedule for the “show-time”.
Check the status of the media server here. If it shows “Shanghai Webcam Server is Offline”, it means I have turned it off to save bandwidth, save electricity and avoid the noise of the computer fan.
Criteria for me to pause this service:
One of the following reasons will force me to pause this service:
- Daily visitors to this cam are less than 20. I don’t want to be silly to operate something the world don’t care.
- If someone complains for privacy issues (if they don’t want me to pointing my camera to this direction) – actually, people cannot be recognized in this cam screen)
- I cannot cover my cost – if I need the computer and I don’t have any spare computer.
- My wife cannot bear the noise and the wire one day – yes. I will defintely remove the webcam from window area.
Support me to continue this free service
You can support this webcam by the following ways:
- To keep the traffic of this page. Send the URL of this page to your friends or link it up in your website. Recommend this page in BBS and forums.
- I want to find a dedicated computer to be the server since I cannot garentee the availability of the server if I also play game on it. Now I have alread got a hard disk, a motherboard, a CPU fan, a display adaptor. If anyone has used (as long as it works): CPU, memory, computer case, power unite, network adaptor card, please comments below to let me know. I can pay some money for it.
Please use the comment system to let me know whether you can see the video. Report to me if you cannot see anything.
Below are the sample views.
2003.05.19 at 10:35 PM with very poor light condition.
Update: This Service Paused May 26, 2004
This service is paused after I moved my house to Pudong. Please wait for further notification of the status of this service.