Echoing people’s question about how to get to Hangzhou from Shanghai, here are some suggestions I gave before:
- PVG: Buses to Hangzhou, Suzhou…
- PVG: From Pudong Airport to Hangzhou
- PVG: Bus to Suzhou, Nanjing, Hangzhou
- My previous articles about Hangzhou
Besides that, here is more general guidelines. Take it as strategy while others as tactics.
- You should plan 2 days in Hangzhou – at least one night is Hangzhou if it is not a business trip.
- Don’t worry about rain. When it rains, the West Lake looks better. It looks like great even in a storm (like last Saturday night).
- Staying in a hotel near the West Lake is important. Shangri-la is a good choice, but it is just too expensive – around 1000 RMB, which is about double the price of many other hotels. On average, hotel expense in Hangzhou is higher than other cities – even comparable with Shanghai.
- Drive there is a good option. Rent a car in Hangzhou may be better – it is just great to drive in the city than walk.
- Train is great, but do book round trip tickets so to save some time – the West Lake is near the train station, so it is better to wait at the lake side instead of the crowded railway station