I am thinking hard to find some good software/website, or even thinked of creating a tool myself, to management my personal social network. The problem I am facing is, I have too many contacts and I need a way to organize the relationship and keep in touch with them.
- I have many family members. How about sending some pictures of the new apartment I just moved in or notify them when I change my job? Now I am maintaining a private maillist. But I always forget to send interesting things to them.
- I have old high school classmates. They are all my best friends years ago, but ops, I have never dropped a single piece of email to them for several years. Where are they? What they are doing? Did they get married or have a baby, or something?
- I am receiving emails everyday, from every corner of the world, asking me questions about Shanghai. I archived the emais. Sometimes, I got an email saying: “We exchanged email in July, 2003 before I came to Shanghai. I am here. How about we meet sometime?” Well? Who is this guy? I have totally forgotten the last email. There is no thread of emails.
How to organize all these emails, friends, and relationships? I need a system to do the job.
Personal Social Network Management
If I am a company myself, the system has a buzz word as its name: CRM (Customer Relationship Management) – a tool to record all interaction and contact information of customers. For me, it should be a system (hopefully, distributed) to manage my social network. By distributed, I mean no body a new address book application when Yahoo! or Hotmail, or Outlook is doing great already. Duplicate websites with same function increase the cost of synchronization.
Anyone has any idea or best practices to management your own social network?
Hold a minute before recommending me of social software right now. With the emerging of concept and sites of social software, I am more confused. To be honest, either Friendster, or LinkedIn helped me to solve the problem I am facing. Will I drop something to all my 40+ contacts in LinkedIn? No.
P.S. A joke on Social Network Coordinator
Look at a job in Manhattan: personal social network coordinator . The responsibility of this position is to
- approving or rejecting invitations of friendship (in social software)
- managing a database of usernames and passwords for each of the social networking sites
- keeping my social network synchronized; that is, invite friends from one social networking site to be friends in all of the other social networking sites
- various “damage control” functions when rebuffed “non-friends” become upset due to non-acceptance of their offers of friendship
- Future duties may include discouraging companies and individuals from starting new social networking sites so that additional staff won’t be necessary in the future.
It is so funny. Go to the original posting site read the full article since the author said “Reposting this message elsewhere is NOT OK.“.
It is not a serious job posting. However, it described the problem of so many social software.