I wrote about my software list for newly installed PC the last year. Since I reinstall my laptop from time to time (on average, every quarter), I keep a list of software to be installed. I don’t like software like Ghost – I just want to keep my PC as fresh as possible.
Looking back at the article I wrote before, there are not many in the list. This time, i create a longer list. Maybe after 5 years, when we look back at this list, many of them no longer exists, or we have started to use newer software at that time. A trend I observed from the last year is, most of my daily use software was downloaded from Internet (for free).
- Drivers – especially Video, and network drivers.
- Windows Update to get to the latest version.
- Keep Windows Messenger that comes with Windows XP (don’t want to use Live Messenger)
- Turn on ClearType. If in Chinese environment, change the font family for titles, and menus to Tohama from the default SimSong font – so the ClearType can take efect.
- Firefox, and then do not use IE after that.
- Sogou Pinyin IME (for better experience to input Chinese)
- Google Toolbar
- Google Picasa