This is the craziest new year I have ever experienced. Just to list a few.
- It is snowing. Crazily heavy in Shanghai – the heaviest snow in recent years. Looking outside our office – I feel I am in Beijing.
- No railway station. From today to the Spring Festival, many stations have stopped all ticket selling. No ticket at all.
- Highways closed. In provinces like Anhui, all highways have been closed because of snow.
- No electricity. Shanghai’s storage of coal to product electricity has been left for only two days, according to media today. What happens after two days when there are not enough electricity in Shanghai?
- Things get expensive. Due to half million people waiting in the train station, someone are selling boxed meal at 10 times or higher price.
- My friends in office called people who have ticket. The price as been 3-4 fold, from 300 RMB to 1000 RMB, and increasing.
- Snow caused the most important railway line – Beijing to Guangzhou line – broken for 20 hours. People with tickets cannot leave the city.
- Many airports are closed. No aircraft have left or arrived since then.
Disclaimer: I didn’t personally see the facts with my eyes except the Shanghai snow. I rely on the sources in news in this article, and those sources are not always reliable.