I Don’t Know about China Visa

I received many questions about “How can I get China Visa from India”, or “My visa in China expires next month…”.

I am sorry but I have no idea about Chinese Visa. Obviously, I don’t need to have one, and there is no way for me to try out the procedures.

If you do have Chinese visa questions, you may TRY to post under this thread, and I believe many readers of this blog have the experience and can help. I am also curious about the steps to apply for a Chinese Visa. Please share and help. Thanks.

22 thoughts on “I Don’t Know about China Visa

  1. Make a search on “visa” at the shanghaiexpat.com forums and you’ll get plenty of information.

    Basically the easiest path is to go through some agents, they can get the visa done for you even if you don’t have a valid reason to stay.(not studying, not working for a company)

    I read at the shanghaiexpat forums that there’s a way you can get it done easily and cheaply: do it at hongkong. The last time I asked it was about RMB700-900 for a one year business visa, I didn’t go for that option so I’m not sure if there are any other problems associated with that option.

    I got my visa done through emoo.net, and I believe a quick google will reveal a few more agents.

  2. If your visa will expire in a short time,you can get to No.1500 MinSheng Rd. in Pudong for resorts.

    I am convinced that it will help you. Good Luck!!

  3. http://english.gov.cn/2005-08/18/content_24285.htm

    Chinese Visa and the Procedure for Visa Application

    GOV.cn Thursday, August 18, 2005

    A Brief Introduction to Chinese Visa

    1)Chinese visa is a permit issued to a foreigner by the Chinese visa authorities for entry into, exit from or transit through the Chinese territory. The Chinese visa authorities may issue a Diplomatic, Courtesy, Service or Ordinary Visa to a foreigner according to his/her identity, purpose of visit to China and passport type.

    2)The Ordinary Visa consists of eight sub-categories, which are respectively marked with Chinese phonetic letters L, F, Z, X, C, G, D, J-1and J-2.

    L Visa: Issued to an applicant who comes to China for tourist purposes, family visiting or other personal affairs.

    F Visa: Issued to an applicant who is invited to China for visit, research, lecture, business, scientific-technological and culture exchanges or short-term advanced studies or intern practice for a period of no more than six months.

    Z Visa: Issued to an applicant who is to take up a post or employment in China, and their accompanying family members.

    X Visa: Issued to an applicant who comes to China for the purpose of study, advanced studies or intern practice for a period over six months.

    C Visa: Issued to crewmembers on international aviation, navigation and land transportation missions and family members accompanying them.

    G Visa: Issued to those who transit through China.

    D Visa: Issued to applicant who is to reside permanently in China.

    J-1 Visa: Issued to foreign resident correspondents in China.

    J-2 Visa: Issued to foreign correspondents on temporary interview missions in China.

    3)Validity of visa: normally speaking, a visa is valid for 3 months from the date of issuance(=date of application) and on any day within this period, the visa holder may enter China.

    Duration of stay specified in the visa: normally speaking, a visa holder may stay in China for 1 month which counts from the date of his/her entrance into China. To stay longer, you need to specify your request in your application form and it’ll be subject to the permission of the consul in charge.

    4)Overseas Chinese visa authorities, include Chinese embassies, consulates, visa offices, and the consular department of the office of the Commissioner of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of China. If a foreigner intends to enter into, exit from or transit through the Chinese territory, he shall apply to the above-mentioned Chinese visa authorities for a Chinese visa. For further information, please consult the nearest Chinese visa authorities.

    5)Important notes:

    According to the relevant international law, any sovereign state has the exclusive rights to decide whether or not to allow the foreigners to enter its territory, and accordingly to issue visa, reject visa application and cancel an issued visa according to its national law without providing the reasons.

    With its valid Chinese passport, a Chinese citizen can enter China without a visa.

    All regulations and costs are subject to change without notice.

    Paying the visa fee

    The overseas Chinese visa authorities are Chinese embassies, consulates, visa offices, the consular department of the Office of the Commissioner of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in HKSAR, and other agencies abroad authorized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of China. If a foreigner intends to enter into, exit from or transit through the Chinese territory, he shall apply to the above-mentioned Chinese visa authorities for a Chinese visa. For further information, please consult the nearest Chinese visa authorities.

    Editor: Letian Pan

    Source: FMPRC.gov.cn

  4. As mentioned in the previous post, Minsheng Rd 1500 is the place to be if you’re in Shanghai.

    Open from Mon – Sat from 9h till 17h.

    VISA application is on th 3rd floor.

    General information to visit China at :


    Services (for non-residents) -> travel -> Tourist VISA

  5. ellick, could you please be a bit more specific abput this location? Any metro station nearby, name of the place or anything alike?

    Generally, how easy/difficult is it to extend a 30 days tourist visa, how much should it be?


  6. My suggestion to everyone is to see if the Chinese embassy in their country provides this information online. The Chinese embassy in the Netherlands does provide this online, the information (available in Chinese and English) can be found here:


    This information is probably not standard for every country but it should help everyone a long way :)

  7. People hate the dollar coin with a passion in the United States. Almost no one uses them here. The only time you get them is when you get change from a Vending machine.

  8. Chinese government has very good relationship with some terrorist organizations. Terrorists never attact Chinese people and soil. They are allies. Don’t worry about it.

  9. An issue with RMB coins is their worth versus their face value. Unlike their counterparts in may other countries, I heard that they were typically cheaper. Is it still true?

  10. I agree with Jian Shuo… I also always used it, never got sick or anything… the water may be a bit smelly but don’t worry about it… I just don’t want to recommend you to drink several liters from it (that’s what the bottled water is for).

    Also, when you go out and get some coffee/tea/soup/whatever… I can almost be sure that they used just water from the cranes instead of bottled water… nobody gets sick from it so don’t worry :)

  11. if you carry more coins in your pocket,you will find them are really burden.:) to be honest, coin is easily lost .

  12. Andreas:

    The nearest metro station to the Entry/Exit Bureau at 1500 Minsheng Lu in Pudong is the Shanghai Science & Technology Museum Station on Line 2 (Exit 3). There are maps posted inside the station. 1500 Minsheng Lu is about 10 minutes walking to the East, which is the direction you are facing if you walk directly out of Exit 3 and straight ahead (approximately 1 km, at corner of Minsheng Lu / Yincun Lu).

    Extending a tourist visa for 30 days longer is practically guaranteed, but longer than that is difficult without leaving mainland China (i.e. to Hong Kong or Macao). The cost depends on the cost your home country charges Chinese citizens for the equivalent visa. I’m from USA; the last time I got a tourist visa in 2004, it was 480 RMB Yuan. Now I have a residence permit which is different. Check the previously mentioned web site.

  13. In my opinion, the best way is to phone the chinese embassy in india. and you can get the telephone number from the internet.

  14. Hello

    I am a US Citizen and I am suppose to fly into Shanghai this Monday. With plans, I did not get my visa. Can I get one at the airport?

  15. Traveling to Shanghai is even more difficult for a French than traveling to Saudi Arabia. There are some lousiest chinese consulates with stupid chinese visa representatives where they require from you a hell of supporting documents, if you are going for business, that you end up switching to another destination finally.. They complicate the world for you, even if you have an invitation letter from the concerned authorities, 2 way ticket, hotel confirmation and bank guarantee… They ask you to take an appointment few months in advance, and to come in person and to wait for hours, as if you have nothing else to do..

  16. Dear readers,

    I’m a EU citizen. I entered China in Feb 07 with a single-entry F visa. I have extended it in the meantime, now it’s valid until the end of Feb 08. Again, it carries the inscription “single-entry”. However, unlike my previous visa, the current one has no entry mark made by the border control officer.

    I plan to go to Macau around Feb 10, then re-enter China, and fly back to Europe from Beijing. Since my current single-entry visa has no entry mark, I’m wondering whether it will allow me to go to Macau and re-enter China again without having to apply for a new visa for China in Macau. Do you have any idea about this? Any help will be highly appreciated! Thx a lot!

  17. hai i am pushpinder ia m want to knoe that i am working in a restro & bar as a aManager . i am holding a Z visa . this expiry on august 2008. noe i dont wanna to continue my job in my past job. i need new job but the problem is taht my visa is holded by my old company . noe i wanna to apply a Z visa with own but i dont knoe how. is it possible to extend a Z visa without leaving a country .if yes then how if someknow then plz send me the message to my email micky_tul@yahoo.com. bye

  18. Right now I am also trying to help one of my foreign friend to get Chinese visa,but seems it become more and more strickt.No idea to get chinese visa now,even I am a chinese.

    Anybody can give suggestion?

    Thanks a lot..

  19. CHINA THROB BUSINESS CO.,LTD is a professional consultancy company located in Changsha City, China. It was founded in 2005 via Alan . We provide various Government invitation letter services to assist your business growth in China. Corporate Visa Services-Government invitation letter specially designed for countries such as Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Afghanistan and Middle East region including Iraq. We also provide Government invitation letter for other countries. Our customers range from businessmen, companies to individual visiting China. We provide personalize advice and assistance to extend their visa and facilitate their stay and entry into China. “Faith to every client” is our principle. Client’s satisfaction and appreciation is our company top priority! Therefore we value and appreciate the opinion and feedback of all customers to help us improve and provide better services.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *